Directions via Ochomogo, a good short-cut during the dry season
- Coming out of the MGA airport, turn RIGHT onto (Carretera Norte). At the first rotunda continue straight. This rotunda will have a busy bus depot and large market – don't get confused – continue straight thru.
- At the second rotunda go RIGHT - onto a bumpy tree lined road.
- You will pass large white tanks along the right side of the road. After about 7K there will be a funky intersection – stay RIGHT – turning onto a very smooth main road going toward Masaya. You will soon pass a large manufacturing plant called ASTRO. Buses should say to Masaya and Tipitapa.
- You will come to a T-junction with a white arched building directly in front. There will be a sign that says Masaya and Granada and Penas Blancas to the left and Managua to the right – GO LEFT.
NOTE: Make sure to stop properly at the stop sign here. There are always cops here. Don't stop and ask the policia for directions – they'll find something to give you a ticket for!!
- Soon after turning left toward Granada you will pass a Papa Johns Pizza. REMEMBER this – this will be your landmark when returning to the airport!
- At the next rotunda – continue STRAIGHT thru – do not take first right or you will be on the scenic/hectic tour through the center of Masaya!
- Now you should be on a nice 4-lane divided highway...
- At the next rotunda – take a hard right – otherwise you will drive all the way in to the city of Granada. This rotunda is a bit different than the others as it has a bike path with yellow markers. There should be a big factory on the right shortly after.
- You are now heading toward CATARINA on a smoothly paved 2-lane road. Look for a sign that says CATARINA 6K. You will pass Pueblo Blanco Artist Villa. Upon arriving in Catarina you will see a sign for the Mirador on the left – make note of this as you may wish to come back to see the Volcanic Lake.
- After you pass through Catarina (a village noted for its beautiful plants), you will pass through the small towns San Juan de Oriente (a village noted for its beautiful pottery), and then the small towns of Diria and Diriomo.
- Stay on the main road toward NANDAIME. As you approach Volcan Mombocho you will come to a rotunda of sorts – more like a traffic triangle – stay right and then take a hard RIGHT again – otherwise you will end up in Granada.
- As you approach Nandaime, you are approaching the Pan American Highway. When you reach the Pan American highway you will come to a Y junction with a big bible in the median. Stay left here and turn LEFT (south) toward NANDAIME. You are on the PAN AMERICAN HIGHWAY! Top off your gas here...
- Follow the Pan-American Highway south to toward RIVAS... BUT now... rather than going to Rivas – take the short cut on the Ochomogo Road.
- About 16 kilometers past NANDAIME, you will cross over the PUENTA OCHOMOGO BRIDGE. Immediately after crossing the bridge turn right down a small hill and onto a dirt road. You may see a wooden sign for Punta Teonaste.
- You will stay straight on this road for about 9 kilometers. Note that there will be a very severe dip in the road about 8.8k in (created by a v-shaped cement culvert) – JUST after this dip in the road you will turn left.
- Shortly after turning onto this road you will see a bright yellow church on a hill to your right and, further down, the road will be flanked by a proper yellow & white wooden fence. You will be on this section of road for about 4K total before you come to a slight junction. Keep right at the junction (you may see a sign for Punta Teonaste again at this point).
- Continue to stay right and pass thru a couple of small streams and pass through the villages of Las Delicias and La Virgen Morena. The first notable landmark upon arriving in Las Salinas is the Angela's colorful fruit stand – just beyond that, you will come upon a small steel bridge.
- Cross it, just beyond the bridge, the road is paved again (but full of potholes!) After dodging all the potholes you will see a brightly colored building on your right. "The Holy Ground Bakery" and a dirt road with a sign for soma. Hang a right on the dirt road just before the bakery.
Follow the dirt road about one mile and you will arrive at soma. The entire journey will take about 3 hours. Bienvenidos! Park your car and come on in. We will get you a nice cool fresco and send someone to bring in your luggage.